Taking a spring break? Keep your home safe while you’re away!
For many, the winter months are a welcome time to escape the short days and chilly temperatures by heading on vacation. And is there a better way to celebrate the end of winter than to take a spring break? We visited Cape Charles last year for the first time and are really excited to go back for part of Spring Break.
Whether you’re going to hang out locally in RVA, bask on a sunny, white-sand beach in the Caribbean or hit the slopes for some skiing or snowboarding, you have to take precautions to ensure your home stays safe while you’re away. After all, what could be worse than returning from a relaxing break or an active adventure to find a disaster has occurred, such as a break-in, or water or fire damage?
To ensure your vacation doesn’t end in tragedy, follow these tips before you go.
- Check for any leaks and fix them. For example, ensure your refrigerator ice maker is not leaking!
- Set your heater at approximately 50 degrees to ensure pipes and appliances don’t freeze. But if you have pets and they are going to be in the house, set it closer to 72 degrees.
- If you have pets, make arrangements for their comfort and safety: either board them or have a friend come over daily to care for them.
- Turn furnace and hot water heaters down.
- Unplug all appliances, such as coffee makers, toasters and exercise equipment.
- Leave a light or two on so the house doesn’t appear deserted at night.
- Lower blinds and close curtains so that passers-by can’t view your valuables.
- Leave a key with a trusted friend or neighbor so they can enter the home in case of emergency.
- Have a friend or neighbor bring in newspapers and mail or cancel delivery for both during the time when you’ll be away.
If you have the opportunity to get away the Spring Break, we wish you happy trails, and hope you come home to a safe and welcoming home!
At Knight Magee Insurance, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 804-320-0129 or send us a note at email@example.com. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!
Here’s what customers are saying about Knight Magee Insurance
“KMI Solutions is the BEST! Above and beyond service!!”
“KMI Insurance is top notch! I recently acquired both a homeowners and car policy through them. Besides the fact that I was able to secure great quotes, they went above and beyond to make sure that I understood all the details about my policies and answered all of my questions very clearly. When the day comes that I need to use my insurance, I feel confident that I choose a wonderful company to work with. I will always have them as a resource and would highly recommend them to everyone!”
“Knight Magee Insurance is hands down the best insurance company I have ever worked with in many years.”
“Saved us money but exceeded any other customer service I’ve received with another l agency. Sierra and Kate and wonderful.”